Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Finding Love in the Sport of Kings

We've all heard the term "opposites attract," an idea that has some merit.  It is nice to imagine someone's good characteristics balancing mine out, and vice versa.  Certainly, if I found a mate that agreed with me on everything, it would become boring after a while.  What's life without a little debate? 

However, there is one issue I am stubborn on when it comes to the dating sphere - you guessed it: horse racing.  After all, this girl writing is someone who not only enjoys the sport but lives for it.  And when this same girl's (ex) boyfriend yawned and complained through our TV viewing of 2012's Kentucky Derby, you can imagine that she was a little crestfallen.  Opposites may attract, but if I don't nab a horse lover, I may never be happy.

My ears perk up when I hear any sort of racing term out of a male's mouth.  It's almost like a mating call to me - "I hit the superfecta in the last race at Fonner Park."  Wait...say what?! my brain screams, hearing these words.  Hell, if they even had heard of, say, Spectacular Bid, I might be willing to give them a chance.  But when someone completely shuts down the idea of the sport, it eventually will shut me down to them.

Yes, maybe I'm selfish, and vainly picky.  Come on, though!  If you're going to make something your life, don't you want your partner to enjoy it alongside you?  I'd hate to be attached to someone who was miserable at the track.  It not only would bring my emotions down on my account, but on theirs as well; I'm not out to make anyone miserable...certainly not a boyfriend.

Some day it shall happen.  I've been invested in the sport for long enough that I'm starting to really make connections.  Maybe it'll happen while I'm leaning on the rail, reading the form, waiting for the next race to arrive.  Maybe my future husband will appear to me at a yearling sale, bookmarked catalog in hand.  We might even collide in a non-racing setting, get to talking, and hey, wow, he knows all the Breeders' Cup Classic winners!  Instant points for him!

In the meantime, I don't think I would feel at ease settling for anything less.  This is, after all, the Sport of Kings, so it makes perfect sense that this racing fan still waits for her racing Prince Charming.

3 comments:

  1. BOY Emily! Your article could have not come at a better time. I feel totally the same way. My boyfriend is football fanatic. That is fine. But when he wont share in my passion for horse racing. It really bums me out. I watch football with him and go to a few games. This summer I asked him to go to the races with me, he said No. Really hurt, after all I went to a football game with him. I AM NOT A FAN OF FOOTBALL..ITS OK. I have talked to him about this. If you want me to share with you in your passion, then you should want to also share in mine. He is the Love Of My Life!! So its not so easy to just say..I am done then. I wish there was a affordable site for racing fans to meet. You should start one. :) There was one I ran across, but it coast thousands of dollars to join.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda! Thanks for the comment. I think that in a loving relationship, there should at least be some give and take between the passions of the two individuals if they don't share them. If you don't want to share my passion, then at least be respectful. I've had, not only in loving relationships but in friends and relatives, people turn up their noses and make snide comments at my love of racing. I don't see the point of insulting someone's livelihood if you know they truly love it. Hey! A racing dating site sounds like a great idea! I don't know if I have the horsepower (no pun intended) to start it up, but maybe I can talk to the powers that be and we can work something out. ;)

      Delete
  2. The world needs more Emily Whites, or well women who love horse racing!

    ReplyDelete