Monday, May 6, 2013

Welcome!

If you are reading this right now, you have found my blog, whether by finding me on Twitter or Facebook or just randomly stumbling upon it.  Welcome to Horse Sense, my blog dedicated solely to the Thoroughbred industry!  Whether it be breeding, racing, sales or other, I find myself often enthralled with this ever-fluctuating business.  My sporadically written posts will often deal with races or sales approaching, issues in the sport or news that I find rather interesting. 

You might know my work from my blog about the Derby trail, Road to the Derby, which will resume next year in January for the road to the 140th Kentucky Derby.  Other than that, my Twitter is @racehorsewriter, which is where I post little tidbits about my opinions on the happenings of racing. 

A little about myself...as it says on this blog, I'm Emily White.  I'm 18 years young and live around the area of Omaha, Nebraska.  The nearest major track to me is Prairie Meadows in Des Moines, which is two hours away, but my beloved home track is the five furlong oval that only races one or two weekends a year, Horsemen's Park.  I've ventured outside my territory, though, visiting Churchill Downs, Belmont, and Keeneland.

My favorite racehorse of all time is Smarty Jones, but there are so many more that are close to my heart.  My current obsession is, of course, Orb, who just recently won the Derby.  I'm proud - pardon my lack of humility - to say that he's been my hope to win the Derby for a long time.  But I digress.

I am by no means an expert on the subject of horse racing, as I've only been immersed in it for 9 or so years.  Any mistakes I make, I will willingly correct and apologize for.  The feedback of racing veterans is much appreciated to me - I love to learn from my elders and my betters.  I'm especially bad at the whole wagering aspect; I have much to learn about handicapping.  There's my little disclaimer for any mistakes I might make in the future!

My dream career is a job in Thoroughbred journalism.  It combines my two passions, racing and writing.

I can't guarantee posts on a regular  basis...they'll come when I feel like writing.  Hopefully, with my last year of high school winding down, I'll have more motivation to write!  So until next time I post, I'll post my short snippets of musings on Twitter.  Thanks for reading, and I hope you'll stick around for more!

2 comments:

  1. Been reading a lot of your posts so far and you definitely have the passion for it. I know what it's like to lose a favorite track, for me, that was Roosevelt Raceway, a Harness track just outside the New York City limits in Westbury, NY that closed in 1988. Two pages note it well:

    Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Raceway_%28harness_racing%29

    Roosevelt Raceway Tribute Site: http://rooseveltracewayny.tripod.com/

    This Saturday in fact marks 25 years to the date Roosevelt operated as a Harness track for the last time. The track closed for good a month later, weeks before what was supposed to be the fall Harness season was to take place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of Roosevelt Raceway! It's always a shame to lose a track, especially one with so much history.

    ReplyDelete